The Second Annual State House Wellness Week
The State House Wellness Week returned in 2017 for its second installment and it was a tremendous success. This week was made possible through the collaborative support of volunteers at the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism; the South Carolina House of Representatives; and the SC Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA). The 2017 State House Wellness week brought together hundreds of employees for a wide range of health events and a celebration of health and wellbeing.
The goal of the State House Wellness Week is to make it easier to provide state employees health-related information and access to wellness benefits. By offering a wide variety of screenings, events and workshops to appeal to more people, more than 500 state employees participated in this year’s wellness week. State employees had an opportunity to attend a variety of wellness events ranging from preventive screenings to financial wellbeing seminars, most offered at no cost, including:
- EyeMed’s onsite comprehensive eye exams,
- Palmetto Health’s mobile mammography,
- Wellness & Benefits Fair with more than 45 vendors,
- Fall gardening workshop,
- Flu shot clinic,
- DHEC’s Healthy Eating 101,
- Financial wellness seminars on ‘Banking & Budgeting’ and ‘Credit Building & Repair,’
- PEBA’s ‘Retirement Ready’ retirement and benefits Seminar,
- Step-Tember Wellness Walk, and
- Mobile farmer’s market.
With more than 500 participants in the week-long event, it demonstrates the employees’ interest in taking steps to improve their overall health and wellbeing and the collaboration between state agencies that makes this possible for their employees. As a result:
- More than 400 state employees attended the wellness and benefits fair with more than 45 vendors;
- 150 state employees are now vaccinated against the flu;
- 75 state employees learned steps to preparing for retirement;
- 60 employees participated in the Step-Tember wellness walk; and
- More than 60 state employees attended a class to learn about healthy cooking and eating.
Alex Wilcox, State House Wellness Week coordinator and SC Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism employee, explained his favorite part of the week: “One of the most exciting additions to this year’s event calendar was our weeklong onsite eye clinic. This first-of-its-kind event for state employees brought more than 50 people in for eye exams who otherwise may not have had an exam.”
“Everyone recognizes that his or her own health is important, but being able to host an event like this allows us as a State Government employer to show our employees that we truly value their overall health and wellbeing,” said Wilcox.
With 2017 such a success, plans are already in the works for the 2018 State House Wellness Week!
- 10-11-2017 11:36 (EDT)