Share Your Wisdom with the Health Care Leaders of Tomorrow
Become a South Carolina IHI Open School Mentor
The South Carolina Hospital Association (SCHA) has partnered with the South Carolina Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Open School network to create the South Carolina IHI Open School Mentor Program, designed to develop relationships and to encourage the skills and attitudes that will lead the next generation of health care professionals to a successful entry into the health care industry.
How is the South Carolina IHI Open School Mentor Program different from other mentor programs?
Those who are trying to accelerate quality improvement often find health care professionals ill-prepared to participate in or lead improvement efforts. As a result, ambitious quality improvement strategies usually require health care organizations to make significant investments in retraining and in overcoming professional resistance to change.
To combat this problem, SCHA and the South Carolina IHI Open School network hope to offer the leaders of tomorrow, along with your help, a unique insight into the inner workings of the health care industry. Our goal is to offer students an interdisciplinary learning experience. In our industry, teams are made up of professionals from diverse backgrounds of study. It is important that students understand the complex health care community they will enter upon graduation and that they know how to work within that community, respecting and understanding each players’ role.
Mentors can commit to the level of engagement that best suits them and will be matched with their mentee in October 2011. Your mentee will be paired according to your region and the criteria you outline when you sign up.
The mentor/mentee relationship will last for at least a six month period, from October 2011 to May 2012. We anticipate that these relationships will last as the student matriculates though school and begins their career but do not require this as part of the program.
Are you ready to become a mentor?
- If you can say yes to one of these questions, you are ready to become part of our South Carolina IHI Open School Mentor Network.
- I have worked in the health care industry for at least two years.
- I am open to questions related to my career and the health care industry.
- I will offer advice on leadership, resume and skill development.
- I will connect my mentee with any other person(s) that may help them gain knowledge about their career interests.
- I can commit to at least a six month mentor relationship with my mentee, from October 2011 to May 2012.
- My mentee can shadow me for one day within the allotted six month period.
Become a mentor today!
- 09-13-2011 10:22 (EDT)