The 2016 SCHA Advocacy Agenda focuses on legislative priorities that increase the viability of South Carolina’s hospitals and the employees and communities they serve. This year, the state’s hospital community will work together in support of these legislative priorities for the 2016 state legislative session:
- Maintain and reform the state’s Certificate of Need Program.
- Protect Medicaid reimbursement rates through the state budget.
- Support solutions to access the state’s share of federal funding to close the health coverage gap for the working poor, bolster the state budget, and improve behavioral health.
- Advance initiatives to expand telemedicine and support parity reimbursement for private insurance coverage.
- Prevent legislation that would discourage the self-reporting of medical errors by nurses and other medical professionals.
- Support DHEC’s funding request to strengthen the state’s stroke system, retain quality nurses in the public health system, and other initiatives to improve the quality of health care in SC.
- Explore incentives to increase the state’s health care workforce.
- Promote legislation that would increase penalties for violence against health care workers.
While these are the main legislative priorities for SCHA in 2016, we will continue to monitor and report on other state legislation that impacts health care in South Carolina. Please register for SCHA’s LEAd Grassroots Network to receive The Pulse newsletter and stay up-to-date on the latest health care activity from the SC Statehouse. In addition to The Pulse, you will also receive special “Action Alerts” that help you reach out to your legislators when an issue that impacts your hospital is before the General Assembly. Join LEAd today, and help shape the future of health care policy.