Course to help non-VA providers care for veterans Nov 6-7

Save the Date - registration information will be available soon.

Every day, 1 out of 4 individuals who dies is a Veteran. Only 4% die in VA hospitals, leaving 96% to die in community hospitals, at home, or in facilities.

The military culture encourages denial of emotion, toughness, and stoicism. Combat experience, experience with death on the battlefield, exposure to toxic substances, coupled with battle-minded training can affect bedside care. It is estimated that 30-50% of all combat Veterans, no matter what conflict they served, will exhibit some symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome. These symptoms are exacerbated at end-of-life.

This course will provide non-VA healthcare workers with valuable tools and interventions to provide care appropriate for our state's veterans.

ELNEC VETERANS COURSE

November 6-7, 2015

The workshop will be held at the Professional Development Offices @ Fairfield. Contact hours, breakfast & lunch will be provided. A small fee will be charged for LCAHEC consortium members and non-members.

 

The End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) project is a national education initiative to improve palliative care.


Released:
08-17-2015 04:53 (EDT)