National Healthcare Decisions Day is April 16
The South Carolina Hospital Association and Working Well are encouraging all of our members, partnering organizations, businesses, and the public to also celebrate National Healthcare Decisions Day. The purpose of Healthcare Decisions Day is to inspire, educate and empower the public and healthcare professionals about the importance of advance healthcare planning. Less than 30 percent of the population has an advance directive such as a Healthcare Power of Attorney or Living Will, which guides decisions about healthcare if a person is unable to make his or her wishes known. National and South Carolina Health Decision Day is April 16 of each year. The goal is to encourage the public to express their wishes regarding healthcare advance directives, and for providers and facilities to respect those wishes, whatever they may be.
A durable power of attorney for health care is a document that names your health care proxy. Your proxy is someone you trust to make health decisions if you are unable to do so. A living will tells how you feel about care intended to sustain life. You can accept or refuse medical care. There are many issues to address, including tube feeding, dialysis, organ donation and breathing machines. The brochure "Isn't It Time We Talk?" provides information on the types of advance directives available in our state, guidance on how to determine what is important to you, and how to talk about your healthcare decisions with your loved ones and healthcare providers.
Here are some ways that your hospital or organization can get involved:
- Educate your employees and patients on the importance of advance care planning. Encourage them to complete a Living Will or designate a Health Care Power of Attorney.
- If your organization has a wellness incentive program in place, consider rewarding employees for having up-to-date advance directives in place. The SC Hospital Association promotes advance care planning to staff by allowing employees to earn wellness points that count towards a health insurance premium discount if they attest that they have a current advance directive.
- Become an official participant of National Healthcare Decisions Days by participating or hosting an event, no matter how small, by signing up at http://www.nhdd.org/join/.
- Distribute SC Healthcare Decisions Day information at health fairs and community events.
- Provide a link on your website to SC Healthcare Decisions Day.
- For more ways to get involved, take a look at the Action Guide.
- 02-26-2015 02:21 (EST)